Coryza is a kind of infection of the upper respiratory tract and very often seen in racing pigeons. The coryza affection can have several causes and is usually a combination of different disorders which work together:
- a viral herpes infection
- a bacterial Chlamydophila infection
- a mycoplasma infection
- a bacterial E. coli infection
In case of an infection we can see a quick deterioration of the condition and performance of the sick pigeons. A bad hygiene, less ventilation and an overpopulation on the loft are the main reasons for these respiratory problems. In case of chronic respiratory problems the treatment can be difficult; only a long treatment will give a good result.
- In the beginning the pigeons are not very ill
- Bad flying performances
- Sneeze, filthy noses
- Open beck
- Rattling respiration
- Eye infections and festering nose flow
- In some cases we can see a big head (feathers around the ears are standing up)
In case of illness:
- Either 1 sachet of Ornicure per 2 litres of deionized drinking water during 8 days.
- Or 1 measuring spoon of Amoxicure per litre of non-calcareous water during 8 days.
- Regularly (every 2 or 3 weeks) after a flight administer Ornicure or Amoxicure during 2 to 3 days.
- If necessary, prior to the racing season, provide a preventive cure during minimum 8 days.
- In case of respiratory problems always verify if there is no secondary infection with trichomonosis and, if necessary, treat that as well.
- No minerals, grit, salt or iron preparations during treatment with Ornicure.
- For the preparation of Ornicure use always non-calcareous water.
- After a treatment it may be recommendable to administer B-Chol during a few days.