Ornithosis is a bacterial infection of the respiratory tract caused by the Chlamydophila psittaci bacteria. This disease is one of the biggest wrongdoers in the pigeon sport. In general the Chlamydophila psittaci bacteria only causes an infection of the upper respiratory tract but in extreme cases it can also damage the internal organs (liver, lungs and spleen).
Direct contact with other contaminated pigeons (e.g. in the baskets) is the infection way by which the affection is being transmitted. There is also vertical transmission from parent to young through the egg. Ornithosis is more often present in poorly aired lofts (draught, bad ventilation, overpopulation).
- Unilateral infection of the eye
- Rattling respiration
- Red throat and upper respiratory tract
- Filthy nose
- Thick head (feathers around the ears are standing up)
- Bad condition
In case of illness:
- 1 sachet of Ornicure per 1,25 litres of deionized drinking water during 3 to 4 weeks.
- Avoid overpopulation and provide a good ventilation.
- After the ORNICURE treatment administer B-Chol and Omniform during 1 week.
- Improve the climate conditions in the loft (a.o. ventilation, temperature, damp).
- Remove chronically ill pigeons.
- Every two or three weeks after a heavy flight administer 1 sachet of Ornicure per 1,25 litres of deionized drinking water during 2 to 3 days.
- Only use bottled water with a low level of minerals.
- No minerals, grit, salt or iron preparations during treatment with Ornicure.
- Avoid direct sunlight and high temperatures for the dissolved medicine.
- Refresh the dissolved medicine daily, preferably in the morning.